Background: Voluntary active euthanasia represents one of the key topics in the contemporary world medicine, law, religious, ethical and moral issues. Serbia considers legalization of this procedure. Between the others, it is important to examine the student’s attitudes regarding this issue.
Methods: Data were obtained from the faculties of law and medicine, from the universities of Kragujevac and Niš, Serbia. Data were collected during the second half of 2017. The research included 214 students. Due to the nature, subject and hypothesis of the research, the authors used descriptive method and the method of the theoretical content analysis.
Results: Generally, 54% of the students are in favor of legalization of the voluntary active euthanasia. 62, 4% would take part in the referendum on the legalization euthanasia.
Conclusion: The results obtained in the survey on euthanasia on a sample of law and medical students in Niš and Kragujevac indicate that choice of the faculty (law or medicine) influences the structure (share) of responses to particular questions to some extent. However, this influence does not provide ground for conclusion that students’ opinion on legalization and application of euthanasia depends on fact they study law or medicine.
Background: Physician-assisted suicide is one of the features with very different legal solutions in the world. In Serbia, physician-assisted suicide is a crime, within a crime of the assisted suicide. The possibility of the legislation of the voluntary active euthanasia may open the door to the decriminalization of the physician-assisted suicide.
Methods: Data were obtained from the Clinical Hospital Center in Kragujevac, Republic of Serbia collected during 2015. The research included 88 physicians: 57 male physicians (representing 64.77% of the sample) and 31 female physicians (35.23% of the sample). Due to the nature, subject, and hypothesis of the research, the authors used descriptive method and the method of the theoretical content analysis.
Results: We have raised numerous questions. A slight majority of the physicians (58%) believes that physician-assisted suicide should be legalized, while 42% is for another solution. 90.9% took a viewpoint that it is completely unacceptable legalization of the physician-assisted suicide for all age groups, while the remaining 9.1% is to such legislative move. From the other side, 40.7% of respondents would prescribe a lethal dose of the medicament to the patient, who is in the terminal stage of the incurable disease, but, 59.3% would not do it. Interesting is that 13.8% of the physician had a patient who asked for the information how to commit suicide, and 12.5% gave them such information.
Conclusion: Physicians in Serbia are divided on this issue. The majority of them are for the legalization of medical assistance to suicide, but there is a strong division among them on various issues.
En 2009, le ministère serbe de la Santé a adopté un plan national de soins palliatifs, faisant émerger la vision d'un système de soins palliatifs global et moderne à travers toute la Serbie. De mars 2011 à novembre 2014, un projet financé par l'Union Européenne a été mené afin de mettre ce plan en oeuvre grâce à l'implantation d'une assistance technique et à l'application des normes européennes et internationales. Des progrès majeurs ont été accomplis en matière de formation aux soins palliatifs, de politique et de législation, de sorte que la situation des soins palliatifs est passée de l'implantation locale à l'intégration préliminaire. Cependant, des progrès restent à accomplir afin de garantir l'accès aux soins palliatifs pour tous ceux qui en ont besoin. [d'après résumé revue]